Inking without digital pen



In the previous post, I said I will try how inking on paper is like. It was really a good idea, because 1. it's much nicer to work on paper, 2. it works better for me. So let's see the results.
I took the Obelix drawing (which you might already seen in an earlier post)


First I tried to ink it digitally, with my old Wacom Bamboo pen. It looks quite nice, but the lines are shaky.
I went to Hema (a shop in the Netherlands which sells everything) and bought a fine-liner for 80 eurocents.  This is also nice, but the pen turned out to be a bit too thick -at least for this drawing. Can't zoom in and out on paper, like I can digitally.
Coloured it digitally just for fun.

Now that I inked my Obelix on paper, I couldn't test my new fine-liners I got from the local artist supplier (the XS, S and F from this Faber-Castell set) on him, so I will experiment on Vitalstatisix and his carriers.
Now that's more like it!!! The scanning was done on 300 dpi, then I put the contrast on max, so the grass turn black. I've seen on the internet that there are other ways, but for now I just sticked to this method.

Coloured version. I am very happy with the results. Next time if I do comics I will just ink it on paper!
I had to fix the heel of the left carrier digitally, cause I made a mistake there on paper. Ctrl+Z is a feature I miss in the non digital world :)
And for comparison: here is the real picture what I shamelessly copied. This original one is inked with a brush, that's why it has much more dynamic lining (thick and thin in one line). This is something you can't do with a fine-liner. Maybe later (much later) I will learn how to use the brush. But for now I am happy with the pens. 

Comments