Learning the Marvel Way 4 - Action

After studying figures a bit in the previous chapter, the book showed me some tricks how to put them into action. The main trick is that you just start with some very basic lines - the head, and some curves where the arms, legs and the figure's backbone will take place. And then the stick figure can be built upon that, which can be fleshed out, etc... There were lots and lots of examples to copy from the book.
When you choose how to put a figure in action, you should pick the beginning or the end of a given motion. Those phases are the most understandable (or dramatic) ones.

I had to draw lots and lots of stick figures

And after many many stick figure drawing, there were many real comic instances to copy. The stick figures were also included in the book to give you a hint where to start from.
Power Man might have a bit thin legs, Spider-Man is quite well-done!

I am happy with all of them. In some cases I did a really good job with the hands too!

Figures interacting! Stick figures help a lot with composing. Still they weren't easy - these pictures took me 2-3 hours each. The most difficult part was drawing the Invisible Girl (By the way: Magneto is looking a bit smaller than he should). 
This chapter took me a month to complete (Of course I just do it in my free time, and I did not have time now to draw every day), but it was a lot of fun, especially to draw the fleshed out pics. Drawing all that many stick figures was not always fun, but I do see how important they are.
And all this practicing has its results,  I think my drawings are better!

In the next Marvel Way related post. I will be trying to create something myself again. I am curious if I got better in that too!

Comments