Learning the Marvel Way 5 - Foreshortening


Foreshortening! The knack of drawing the figure in perspective!
A short chapter, but with many challenges. Not too much to say of the results (better to see), so here is a gallery:



First some practicing with making the human figure right with cubes and cylinders. It's not as simple as it looks. I had to be careful to catch the action and to keep the shapes in perspective. First I drew a simple stick figure with dynamic action curves like it was explained in an earlier chapter. Then I "hanged" the shapes on the curves. A lot of time can be spent to get this right. It was tough, but a very good warm up for the pictures below. Behold:



I am very happy with these. When I compare them with drawings from just half a year ago, it is obvious that my drawing skills have improved!
I also started with stick figures and shapes with these more detailed ones. When the figure made of shapes was built, I "just" had to render the details on them. It felt much steadier when it came to draw the hands, thanks to the How to draw hands: 40 drawing tutorial book. It provides very strong fundaments, I can also see it when I'm just doodling around.
What's also noticeable, is that I am getting much more daring to use all the possible space on the paper. Somehow I was scared of using all space before. This fear has disappeared completely.

In the next post: Drawing the Human Head! - Good guys.
In the Book this next chapter contains techniques of how to draw the faces of Good guys, Villains, Women. I will post them as 3 separate blogs.

Comments