Learning the Marvel Way 8 - Drawing the human head - Gals

After drawing all these faces, you would think that you will be fine. But when it comes to drawing the face of women, you find yourself almost at the start again.
I actually always had a problem with drawing female characters - I guess because I mostly drew male ones before.
It needs more attention because you have to keep the lines a bit smoother. A little glitch can make the face masculine very fast. In my experience, you have to be very careful with the jawline. Apart from that the book mentions, how the nose(always tilted up) and the lips (upper lip always more out, lower lip fuller) should be, which is also a very useful advice.
After some practicing with keeping these rules in mind, I can see the improvement. Although I am not completely satisfied with most of my copies below, but compared to few-month-before me they're amazing!

First few ones. The starter frontal and profile face, and then only frontal ones, with different emotions (also next page). I was already not happy with all of these, but I trusted that some practice will have its effect. I try not to be stuck at a single drawing until it's perfect.

Practicing has its effect. They are still far from perfect, but these went much better, and also faster.
After the frontal/profile pictures the task was to draw faces in 3D. This was again very challenging. 

On this page, fully detailed female faces, taken from actual production comic panels. First I always drew the "head shape polygon" (see at Drawing Male Faces post), then I rendered the details on it. Most of them are still not perfection, but I am very happy with the progress I made!





Comments